Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dial ‘S’ for ‘Sophistication’

While watching the #9 selection of the AFI’s Top 10 Mystery List, ‘Dial ‘M’ for Murder’ (yes it took two tries as I fell asleep the first time), I discovered two things: 1) Thrillers/Murder-Suspense Movies used to be so much more sophisticated in their scripts and 2) I desperately want a rotary phone. 
I’ll start with a few words on my second discovery as it is pretty self-explanatory.  I first felt the desire for a rotary phone while watching January Jones’ character on ‘Mad Men.’  How cool would it be to dial a number on a rotary phone?  I swear, if I had a rotary phone I would be so much better at keeping in touch with family and friends because I would want to spend all day dialing numbers.   The ‘Mini-Ferris Wheel’ of numbers is much more appealing than the *tap, tap, tap* of my iPhone.
Not only would I spend all the livelong day calling my family and friends, but the quality of our phone calls would be so much better.  Just the other day, I was catching up with a friend while driving to my eye appointment- and between the turning left, turning right, parking, walking into the building, I couldn’t hear half the things she was saying.  I kept saying, ‘What? What was that? Sorry, what did you say?’  She probably thought that my moving back to the high altitude of CO has permanently damaged by eardrums.  What’s more, she is a very dear friend and if only I’d have been confined to a rotary phone in my living room instead of the hustle and bustle of the outside world, I probably would’ve been able to hear the conversation.  Mind you, I would still want my iPhone for the things I actually use it for (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Words with Friends), I just need the Rotary for the thing I wish I didn’t use the iPhone for- you know, making phone calls.        
Now to my first discovery: the sophistication of the movie.  No, the sophistication of the movie had little to do with the fact that it stars Princess Grace Kelly or that it took place in the 1950’s when everyone wore beautiful clothing and went around speaking in very proper sentences (my favorite of the movie being the Chief Inspector exclaiming, “oh my, that was almost a near one!”). Rather, the sophistication had everything to do with how much focus there was on the dialogue and the story development rather than the actual murder itself.  If this movie had been made today, I’m convinced that the well thought out rising action, scheming, and aftermath (as beautifully constructed by Mr. Alfred Hitchcock) would be replaced with an extended murder scene involving a lot more screaming, blood, profanity, and just overall discomfort.  Besides, watching the uneasiness of the characters as they plot the murder, have it go awry, and try to cover up the mishap is much more appealing than watching a group of teenagers in nice clothing get slaughtered for 80 minutes (yes, I’m talking about the sophistication that isn’t, entitled ‘Prom Night.’)
By the end of the movie, my heart was racing and I literally felt as if I were a 5 year old sitting cross-legged in front of the T.V. turning my head from character to character wondering how it’s going to turn out. 
A final note? I almost wish I had lived in this movie and been able to meet all of the characters.  They all seemed so refined, admirable, and polished.  Ok, except for the whole affair/murder situation…
Movies Watched: 5/100
Days Remaining: A little less, but still a lot.       
        

No comments:

Post a Comment